Beginning at age forty when birthday celebrations take on new meaning, slowing down the aging process to a crawl is everyoneís dream. Of course, cosmetic surgeons and lavish beauty treatments aim to accomplish this and promise results which actually look good for a short time, but then expressions fade and faces begin to look like someone pumped insulation into them. Bodies ache and stiffen, so even if a face is botoxed and injected with collagen, that old walk gives it away.
However, there are a few strategies which could help you revitalize and regenerate. Do all of them and you will have discovered the fountain of youth:
- First and foremost, donít call it anti-aging. This is a negative and self-defeating campaign. Instead become pro-aging. You know the alternative.
- Your skin reflects your life, so manage your stress and renew your daily happiness by expressing gratefulness.
- Exercise is a three legged stool: Aerobics, strength training and stretching. You will be stronger, longer. Also, your mind will be sharper.
- Vitamin D boosts the immune system and strengthens bones. Get it from food, supplements and the sun.
- Sleep is a non-negotiable. Sleep is restorative to the aging brain and the body repairs itself at night. Looking well-rested translates to looking younger.
- You are what you eat. A sunny Mediterranean diet keeps you at peak performance. Do not serve junk food to your body temple and overload your bodyís metabolism and detoxification processes.
- Restrict your food intake and calories which bodes well for longevity according to long term research, but pay attention to good nutrition to make your body efficient and effective instead of wasting energy to eliminate toxins. Watch out for sugar lust because it wreaks havoc on the immune system and shows up on your face!
- Donít shoulder too many responsibilities, for you lose yourself in the process. Say no to those demands which destabilize serenity. Activate your creativity. You donít age when you lose track of time. Time is valuable; donít waste it.
- Women can eliminate hot flashes by reducing angry outbursts. Reinterpret and reframe upsets with positive stories. Let it go and cool off literally.
- The secret to good breathing for relaxation and straight thinking is a deep exhalation which rids the body and mind of toxins and clutter.
- Donít get too skinny as a little fat is youth enhancing. Better to look like a plum than a prune. Who are people talking to your face or your fanny?
- Essential fatty acids and healthy oils keep you lubricated, so olive oil, omega-3ís, nuts and avocados are important foods.
- Sex is youth enhancing and revitalizing. It is wonderful and health giving for all your bodily processes and puts an upbeat spring in your step!
Debbie Mandel, MA is the author of Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life
, Changing Habits: The Caregivers' Total Workout
and Turn On Your Inner Light: Fitness for Body, Mind and Soul,
a stress-reduction specialist, motivational speaker, a personal trainer and mind/body lecturer. She is the host of the weekly Turn On Your Inner Light Show on WGBB AM1240 in New York City , produces a weekly wellness newsletter, and has been featured on radio/ TV and print media. To learn more visit: www.turnonyourinnerlight.com