I train early in the mornings and skip breakfast. I heard how breakfast is so important, but I donít understand why. Iím not hungry in the morning. Can you explain? (Ce Ce, Hempstead).
Here are some basic facts about breakfast. You need protein, complex carbs and low fat. Itís as simple as: 8 oz low-fat yogurt, an apple and a medium protein bar - 470 calories. Or: a whole wheat English muffin with an egg or egg whites, low-fat cheese and orange juice (420 calories).
- Breakfast restores sugar levels after a whole night of sleeping giving your body the nutrients to fuel your day. Itís difficult to supply your body with the necessary nutrients without it.
- People who eat breakfast are more successful at weight loss and sticking to structured meal plans. They tend to eat less as the day wears on because they are satiated in the morning.
- Athletes who skip breakfast train less effectively because they cannot go the distance. Skipping meals compromises your workout session.
- Eating breakfast increases your metabolism as much as 10% to burn calories for weight loss.
- Studies show that breakfast eaters organize their day around good health. They maintain the human machine excellently.
Get into the breakfast kick and remember to live in balance.
Listen to Frank Mikulka’s Weekly Fitness Tips every week on Debbie Mandel’s Turn On Your Inner Light Show every Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 7:30 pm on WGBB 1240AM. Also available on www.turnonyourinnerlight.com/page3.html