Iíve just come out of hip-replacement therapy and am ready to move on with my life and my new hip. Iím thinking of getting a trainer; what should I expect regarding an exercise program and from a trainer? I want to feel confident. (Oscar, Smithtown)
Your trainer should address strength training, cardio, flexibility and balance exercises.
- Strength training - lower body resistance
- Knee extensions
- Step up on a box or platform
- Lateral lunges
- Squats never going lower than 90 degrees. Progress after that.
- Cardio training: use the recumbent bike 15-20 minutes; walking program 15-30 minutes.
- Flexibility: Stretch your quads, hamstrings (never flex over 90 degrees), calf and soleus muscles.
- Practice standing balance movements
- These exercises will program you to resume your functional activities and restore your quality of life.