I train pretty regularly, but lately, I have been experiencing muscle cramps during the exercise activity either lifting or cardio. What are these cramps? How can I exorcise them from my body? (Gino, Levittown, NY)
These cramps are involuntary contractions of muscles due to overwork, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and inadequate blood supply to name a few reasons. The good news is that they can for the most part be remedied:
- Stay hydrated. Try to drink water every 20 minutes during your workout.
- Make sure you get adequate recovery time for overworked muscles; schedule rest days in- between your workouts.
- Incorporate flexibility training.
- Donít get depleted. You can drink fluid that has balanced electrolytes like Gatorade, etc. or simply eat a banana, drink some orange juice, etc. before, during, or after your exercise.
- When you experience a cramp, stretch hard to elongate the muscle with the connecting joint.
Listen to Frank Mikulka’s Weekly Fitness Tips every week on Debbie Mandel’s Turn On Your Inner Light Show every Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 7:30 pm on WGBB 1240AM. Also available on www.turnonyourinnerlight.com/page3.html