I want to begin lifting weights (not just light weight sculpting classes), but I have 2 short questions. Will lifting weights make me look like a man? What are the benefits? (Janis, Oakdale)
Good choice Janis! Lifting weights will change your body and your life. With a well-designed program you will build muscles – but not big-bulging masculine muscles! Women lack the high levels of testosterone to build this type of muscle. Think about all the bags of groceries you lift and then picking up children, car seats, etc. Have you bulked up yet?
The benefits of weight-lifting:
- Strengthening bone mass to prevent osteoporosis, improve posture and skeletal frame
- Burning fat – muscle increases metabolic rate to burn more calories even at rest
- Strengthening joint connections
- Reducing risk of diabetes by better utilizing glucose in the body
- Self-reliance – stronger muscles, less need for assistance during routine daily activities
- Stronger self- image – self-confidence, looking better and feeling better
Weight training could very well be the fountain of youth!
Listen to Frank Mikulka’s Weekly Fitness Tips every week on Debbie Mandel’s Turn On Your Inner Light Show every Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 7:30 pm on WGBB 1240AM. Also available on www.turnonyourinnerlight.com/page3.html