I want to begin lifting weights (not just light weight sculpting classes), but I have 2 short questions. Will lifting weights make me look like a man? What are the benefits? (Lisa, Oceanside)
Good choice Lisa! Lifting weights will change your body and your life. With a well-designed program you will build muscles – but not big-bulging muscles like a male weightlifter! Women lack the high levels of testosterone to build this type of muscle. Think about all the bags of groceries you lift, carrying the children, carrying the laundry basket up the stairs, etc. Have you bulked up yet?
The good things about weight lifting:
Strengthens bones to prevent osteopenia, osteoporosis and improves posture
- Burns fat – muscle increases the metabolic rate to burn more calories even at rest
- Strengthens joint connections
- Reduces the risk of diabetes by better utilizing glucose in the body and manages the disease
- Promotes independence – Less need for assistance during routine daily activities
- Improves self-image – you look better and feel better
- Improves mental function
Weight training reverses the clock!
Listen to Frank Mikulka’s Weekly Fitness Tips every week on Debbie Mandel’s Turn On Your Inner Light Show every Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 7:30 pm on WGBB 1240AM. Also available on www.turnonyourinnerlight.com/page3.html