Iíve been going to the gym for about a month -flying solo- and now realize that I might have to get a personal trainer to insure some success. What should I know about choosing the right one? (Tanya, Syosset)
A trainer should be certified by a reputable organization like ACSM, ACE, AFFA or have formal training in exercise physiology. Check references and interview clients. Hereís what to look for:
- Does the trainer give you a fitness evaluation and create a personal program to fit your specific needs and body type?
- During the training session does the trainer pay attention to technique and form while you are exercising?
- Does the trainer introduce new exercises and equipment, teaching you how to perform the exercises or use the equipment when you are on your own?
- Is there a charted record of your progress and does the trainer periodically reassess your fitness needs and goals?
- Does your trainer motivate you and are your goals compatible?
Please note that you and your trainer are a team. You are paying for a service and should expect to get the best fitness session you can