I’ve heard squatting will shape my glutes and legs. What is the proper form for this exercise? I can’t wait to start doing squats. (Loretta from Centerreach)
You’re right. This exercise will do the job!
- Stand with your heels shoulder width apart and your toes pointed slightly outward.
- Keep your shoulders pulled back and torso tensed throughout.
- Rest the bar with a padded sleeve on your traps.
- As you lower your body, let your knees travel outward same angle as your toes.
- Lower until your thighs are almost parallel to the floor
- Keep your chest and torso upright. Focus on something above and in front of you.
- Maintain controlled speed up and down.
This is a great exercise. Make sure to push off your heels--It helps to curl your toes up in your sneakers. Choose your weight wisely to complete 12-15 reps of 3 to 4 sets twice a week.